PhD mandatory for University Teachers from 2021
PhD a must for teaching positions in Universities from 2021
PhD mandatory for University Teachers – Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Prakash Javadekar today announced that A PhD degree will be mandatory for teaching positions in Universities from July, 2021.
However, Master’s degree with National Eligibility Test (NET) or PhD would continue to be the minimum eligibility criteria for direct recruitment in colleges
These measures are part of the new regulation of the University Grants Commission to “attract and retain the best quality teachers and other academic staff in Universities and Colleges”. The HRD ministry has approved the new regulations.
New regulations of the University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Announcing the new regulations of the University Grants Commission (UGC), Javadekar said Academic Performance Indicators (API), now stands scrapped.
- The new regulations also propose to relax the number of prescribed working hours for teachers at the Assistant Professor level provided they are engaged in research.
- A special provision has been made for direct recruitment of Assistant Professors in Universities and Colleges for Ph.D Degree holders from the top 500 Global rankings University/Institution.
- Marking a distinction between College and University teachers, the new regulations has made promotion criteria for the former more focussed on teaching while criteria for the latter will be more research oriented.
- The regulations also mandate newly recruited teachers in universities and colleges to undergo one month compulsory induction programme.
- Up to 10% of the existing sanctioned strength of Professors in Universities shall be appointed as Senior Professors in the Universities. These Senior Professors will be appointed through direct recruitment and through promotion under Career Advancement Scheme (CAS).
- Research clusters will be created in the Universities within the State for sharing research facilities, skills and infrastructure to ensure optimal utilization of resources and creating synergies amongst higher education institutions.
- In order to promote sports, a special category of medal winners in Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in eligibility criteria for Assistant Director/College Director, Physical Education and Sports and Deputy Director, Physical Education and Sports in Universities has been made.
- According to the new regulations, for the first time, provision for promotion in colleges will be up to professor level, Javadekar said.
For any query, candidates are requested to check the official website
Click here or more education news.
For more details, follow SuccessCDs ( Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter )